Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Im currently taking Nitrofurantoin 100mg once a night as a

I'm currently taking Nitrofurantoin 100mg once a night as a long term antibiotic. I was wondering if it would be a risk to take tadalafil 10mg (Cialis) as it says on the leaflet not to take it if you are taking nitrates.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Even though the medication has "nitro" in the word, that only refers to nitrogen and not to nitroglycerin. Nitrofurantoin is not a nitrate as in a heart medication for angina. There is no risk or interaction between Nitrofurantoin and Cialis so it's safe to take the two together