Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had a problem with my throat for some weeks. First I

I have had a problem with my throat for some weeks. First I had a sore throat which was cleared by taking antibiotics but now I still have some discomfort around the right side where the glands are. Some days are worse than others and yesterday I was having really difficulty when swallowing and it felt sore around my adams apple
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am an ENT specialist and can help you. Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, cough, bad taste in mouth etc? Do you feel your symptoms more when you wake up in the morning? Any change in voice, if yes, is it worse in the morning and gets better later on? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does tend to be worse in the morning. No real change in voice. But for example yesterday it got worse with soreness around my adams apple and difficulty swallowing

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have fever? If yes how high? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No fever but some tiredness by late afternoon

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
phil thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms there are two possibilities. Either this is a lingering sinus infection resulting in spread of inflammation to your throat and voice box or your current symptoms are due to acid reflux. In my opinion acid reflux is more likely. Acid reflux can quite frequently result from the use of pain killers and antibiotics and cause all of the symptoms that you are encountering. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available Cap Omeprazole 40 mg once daily for two weeks (to be taken in morning on empty stomach) can help you a lot. Moreover you can take Tab Tylenol thrice daily for pain. Avoid anything like ibuprofen or naproxen. If symptoms persist after 5 days, do see an ENT specialist. I assure you that you don't to worry about anything like cancer because cancer never present with painful symptoms. In cancer symptoms never gets better in morning or later in the day. So just don't worry about anything serious. Lastly you must avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and spicy foods. Don't sleep just after your meal. At least wait for 2 hours before going to sleep. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.