Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My wife was hospitalized for a week in February with a severe

My wife was hospitalized for a week in February with a severe balance disorder. Her symptoms were almost stroke-like. She had been under extreme stress for a couple of months, being with her mother (who has terminal cancer) 24/7. She still has ongoing symptoms of dizziness (NOT room spinning as many Doctos seems to insist, but more of a dis-connected, out-of-synch delay when turning the head), 'mushy' head, sometimes hypersensitivity to certain sounds, and various others but there has never been a firm diagnosis. Many things have been ruled out with tests and scans but, other than vague mentions of the menopause (she is 49), nothing has been pinned down. She has been unable to function normally or drive etc for over six months and she seems to have been given up on as a patient. Needless to say this is very life-limiting for her. Wondered if you had any other ideas? Many thanks. (Having to write this for my wife as computer work/typing etc is out of the question). Graham
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi there

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Hello Dr Phil. I'm Graham - on behalf of my wife, Valerie

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Graham and Valerie

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

any ear fullness, ear pain or hearing loss?

Customer:

There was an early sensation of ear fullness, but no fluid. No ear pain and hearing has been tested with good reults

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay

Dr. Phil, MD :

has she seen an ENT doctor?

Dr. Phil, MD :

hello?

Customer:

Yes - was referred recently but all he said was that her hearing, after a test, was actually very good 'for her age'! She also saw ENT consultant during hospitalization and was told there was some evidence of a recent infection. This was in february

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay, has she followed up with one yet?

Customer:

No. There doesnt seem to be much interest in her now!

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay I would do two things

Dr. Phil, MD :

1)see another ENT-this could be easily identifiable by someone that cares!

Dr. Phil, MD :

2)consider vestibular migraines. This is a form of migraine that causes dizziness

Dr. Phil, MD :

a neurologist can diagnose this

Dr. Phil, MD :

ok

Customer:

Vestibular migraine was mentioned at the time of hospitalization but not really developed. Could she still be suffering symptoms this long after an event of that nature?

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely!

Dr. Phil, MD :

they can go on forever!

Customer:

Wow! In that case, is treatment possible?

Dr. Phil, MD :

definitely

Dr. Phil, MD :

many meds can help

Dr. Phil, MD :

here's an article for you

Dr. Phil, MD :

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/vestibular/conditions/vestibular_migraine.html

Customer:

And could it have been caused by a prolonged, stressful situation - maybe even exacerbated by an inner-ear infection or similar?

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes absolutely

Dr. Phil, MD :

it was probably a "perfect storm"

Customer:

I've copied the link - thank you. One last thing - would you recommend that we continue to persue this - ie: should we push for further investigation and treatment. If so, with whom - ENT or Neurology?

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely push for it

Dr. Phil, MD :

start with ENT and if that doesn't work, neurology

Customer:

Ok. Will do. Thank you very much for your time and experttise/opinion etc. Take care

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

please don't forget a positive rating

Dr. Phil, MD :

I appreciate it

Customer:

Will do. Bye

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)