Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I wear spectacles with no problems - over the last 12 months

I wear spectacles with no problems - over the last 12 months I have tried 2 (different) pairs of perscription sunglasses - w although they are different in construction and make up when I wear them for a very short time I get a rash / skin irritation across the bridge of my nose and behind my ears. II have taken both back to get size / fitting readjusted but still get this reaction as soon as I wear them. It seems as though my skin is ultra sensitive where I am wearing my daily spectacles - what can I do ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Seems like your skin is allergic to the material that is used in the glasses.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This particular rash that you have after wearing glasses is called as contact dermatitis.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can be treated by 1% hydrocortisone cream which is over the counter.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or you can try changing the frame of the glasses and use another one that is made of a different material to which you may not be allergic.

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** use the hydrocortisone cream to clear the infection, but going forward I wonder if you are aware of anything I can treat the frames with - the 2 pairs are made of significantly different materials and at least one pair is similar to my daily spectacles which don't cause a reaction ? thank you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should take those spectacles to the people who make them and tell them what material you have used previously that you were not allergic to.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am sure that they can make you one that you are not allergic to.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hydrocortisone is not to clear the infection. Its to clear the allergy.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** would use the cream to clear the reaction - have you an indication of how long it could take - and once it is cleared, if I then put the glasses back on I should expect it to return ?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It usually takes a few days. Three to five days.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you put the glasses that you are allergic to back on then there is a chance that the reaction will return.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

that's it, thank you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)