Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Im suffering from extreme sciatica pain I cant sit at all

Customer Question

I'm suffering from extreme sciatica pain I can't sit at all and can't lay at all , have been trying to sleep standing/leaning against things for the last 2 nights , buttock , shin and calf
feel like they going to explode the pain is that unbearable it's nearly bringing me to tears .
Painkillers and naproxen tablets don't seem to help much . I am a 46 yr old male generally
In good health . Any advises pls .... I can't have another sleepless night !
***** *****
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Really sorry to learn that you are suffering so much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since you are in extreme pain there is no harm in going to the emergency and get your pain treated.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Because you certainly do require prescription pain medications that can only be obtained from the emergency.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

To solve this problem in the long run, you will require MRI of your lower back to see if you will require surgery or not.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that you will require surgery in the long run.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Short of surgery you can try a pain medicine specialist who will inject cortisone into the lower back.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You will also require nerve pain medications like gabapentin, pregabalin or duloxetine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If these medications fail then the last option is surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IDr. Shahzad
I went yesterday to the [email protected] and they gave me the codeine and naproxen tablets . I don't think I would make another trip due to the extreme pain
on sitting would an ambulance come out for this and if so would they give pain relief for the journey ? I really wouldn't be able to make it without .
Retards Steve
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
The ambulance should come for this as you cannot drive on your own to the emergency, that's for sure. They usually do have some pain medications in the ambulance as well so they may give you that for your pain.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done.
Kindest Regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to say that I think my lower leg may be slightly swollen is that normal ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
That is not normal.
If one leg is more swollen than the other it may indicate a clot in the veins of the leg (deep venous thrombosis) which in itself requires a visit to the emergency and requires an ultrasound of the leg to see if there is a clot in the veins of the leg or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - I'm pleased to say that after another day of extrem pain suddenly
as if someone clicked there fingers the pain subsided and within seconds
I was able to sit and lay with all my weight on my buttocks , please explained the sudden change , It hasn't compleatly gone I still get small
shooting pains and can feel it when I cough or sneeze .
I would say the main problem at the moment is that my side calf , shin and foot are still tingling and numb . How long will this last