Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been waiting to see a neurologist for over a year now,I

I have been waiting to see a neurologist for over a year now,I have previously been seen and told they dont know what the problem is and left it at that,over the last few years i have suffered a number of muscle tears including total split of my calf and tearing off a quad muscle(vastus medialus I think) i have had repeated tears over the years and my muscles seem to lock up then cramp to the point of tearing off which as you can imagine is extremely painful.It has gone on to locking in my neck that I feel has caused a number of disk slipping and I once knocked 5 vertibrae out of position in my neck. The only relief I seem to get is when I train or get deep massage,my maseause says my nerves are highly responsive at the lightest touch and deep heavy pressure causes me little or no pain.My muscles feel like there is something crawling through them and I receive shocks from time to time from them.Sometimes it feels as though for a milli second my eyes turn off and on and my muscles are constantly twitching.I have been to a number of specialists all who have been stumped.When the muscles tear its usually in my sleep i awake a few seconds before it as if a warning goes off and i know its coming.I am or was a fit male in my 30 s and as much as an hours walk can feel like my muscles have exploded,they get sore and dull pains like a lactic build up,it also leaves for weeks at a time and i have no suffering at all then returns out of the blue and leaves me incapacitated,I am all out of ideas and am looking for any suggestions
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

have you had your magnesium levels checked?

Dr. David :

low magnesium levels can cause muscle cramps and pains.

Dr. David :

you might need a muscle biopsy to check for inflammation

Dr. David :

have you had creatine kinase levels checked to check for muscle inflammation?

Dr. David :

do you have any other medical problems?

Customer:

Hi dr David, I have had bloods checked but for what specifically i do not know, I was told I may need a muscle biopsy but then after seeing a neurologist I was informed its not necessary

Dr. David :

do you have a history of excessive anxiety or panic attacks?

Customer:

I do suffer with stomach pains put down to ibs. I have had anxiety attacks and one panic attack when i was 20 but not since then

Dr. David :

if you have excessive anxiety, these can cause increased nerve stimulation potential of your nerves which can twitch and fire sometimes suddenly.

Dr. David :

you might need better treatments for your anxiety disorder to help calm down your muscles.

Dr. David :

are you on treatments for anxiety with an SSRI antidepression agent or any long acting benzodiazepine medications

Dr. David :

like valium (diazepine) or klonopin (clonazepam)?

Dr. David :

these might help your muscles relax some as well.

Customer:

I would be a pretty relaxed person i do however get anxious from time to time,but not on any med s or treatment for it

Dr. David :

excessive anxiety can cause worse stomach acid production and stomach acid as well.

Customer:

I have taken valum before it did relax my muscles but the twitching and tears continue,i have recorded the twitchs and shown my gp which he said are agressive,but its at the stage i dont notice them ,massage has been my only outlet but when i get back problems massage is not an option

Customer:

I do get very tired with minimal effort lately,i just want to sleep,i am not depressed and have no more worries than this medical issue

Dr. David :

I don't think you are having tears of your muscles.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you are having muscle cramps.

Dr. David :

these can come from low blood magnesium or potassium levels usually.

Dr. David :

and can also be due to excessive anxiety and your nerves being on edge.

Dr. David :

you could have a condition called benign fasiculations where you can have muscle twitching.

Customer:

I have split my calf on3 occasions in my sleep and totally torn my quad off,I went to leg specialists who have told me it is just bad luck that these reoccur, I ve been on crutchs for 6-8 weeks at a time,the tears have not happened in over 6 months but the twitching and tiredness continues also back spasms,how should i go about checking my magnesium and potassium levels?and have you any suggestions to controlling the benign fasiculations ?

Dr. David :

I see

Dr. David :

you should be tested for possible connective tissue disorder.

Dr. David :

there are some genetic mutations which can cause patients to have defective collagen connective tissue.

Dr. David :

and can allow them to tear their muscles like this.

Dr. David :

an example of a common connective tissue disorder is.

Dr. David :

danlos ehlers disorder

Dr. David :

you could also have an autoimmune disorder where your body is making antibodies against its muscles causing Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis

Dr. David :

these can be tested for as well looking for these antibodies in your body which can attack your muscles.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

should i ask my gp to test for them

Dr. David :

yes,

Dr. David :

you can ask your GP

Dr. David :

or ask to be referred to a rheumatologist.

Dr. David :

who are doctors who specialize in autoimmune disorders

Dr. David :

and muscle and collagen disorders as well.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/?rpt=3800

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

I have been to a rheumatologist who cleared me, thank you for your help i will leave feedback

Dr. David :

you are welcome