DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

I have come off Femodene 3 months ago

I have come off Femodene 3 months ago but I still haven't had a period. I am TTC so im getting very anxious about this. I have had light spotting the second month (brown) and spotting again the third month (Red). I have recently started taking Agnus Catus to try and speed things up. Why is the spotting occuring? Im worried this isnt normal and that the pill ha been masking a problem. I have been on Femodene for 8 years prior to this I was on Dianette where it took me 6 months for my periods to return. There was a two year break in between but my GP told me he would expect my periods to return to normal straight away after femodene. Im also breaking out in lots of spots on my back.

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr Helen, a UK doctor.

Periods can take up to 6 months to return to normal when coming off any combined pill which includes femodene. You will not have been ovulating whilst on femodene and it takes a while for your own hormones to kick in again and make you ovulate. The kind of spotting you describe is very normal after coming off the pill and shows that your hormones are starting to take effect again. You will have a more normal period once you have ovulated. The spots you have noticed on your back are also indicative of your own hormones taking control again.

It is much easier said than done to not worry when you are ttc but the fact your periods took 6 months to reover after dianette means it could take that long again but there is no long term effect from this on your fertility.

Best wishes, let me know if you have any more questions.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 24 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the spotting is a good sign? I was concerned about this as I dont remember having it when stopping dianette.

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes although it can be alarming to have spotting in your circumstances it is related to coming off the pill. It shows that your body is getting back to normal. Many women find that their "periods"are just a day or two of brown discharge when they come off the pill or a few hours of fresh spotting interspersed with brown disharge.
It is because the womb hasn't built up a really thick lining to bleed from but eventually it will and you will have a more normal period.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. I will try not to worry. :-)

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
I know it is hard not to worry but I'm sure with a bit more time your cycle will have a settled pattern again.
All the best.