Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I am a 25 year old male that is experiencing strange

I am a 25 year old male that is experiencing strange tingling / very mild 'burning' sensations in various parts of my skin, but most typically my arms.

I hesitate to use the word burning, as it doesn't hurt, but it just tingles and is irritating. I've only noticed it for just over a week.

I did injury my lower back recently and have had sciatica pain in my left buttock, but could this be effecting nerves in arms? I'm worried it's Multiple Sclerosis, but I've been to my GP about other things a few times in the past month and I'm embarrased to go about yet something else.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi How long does the sensation last? Any vision problems or weakness or tremors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It lasts for less than a minute but it can come and go very regularly, it's been happening most of the day for the past week or so.

No vision problems, I have seen a slight muscle 'spasm' in my leg, it looks like the muscle in my calf was contracting slightly, like a twitchy eyelid sensatio, but no tremors or weakness.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Steve. Can I ask what things have brought you to your GP those few times in the last month?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, mainly my lower back injury was causing tingling down my buttocks and legs so I went to check I hadn't damaged nerves. I then went back again because there was discomfort in my lower abdomen too and I thought I might have pulled a hernia with it.

I do have a high level of health anxiety so always worrying about health issues, but the sensations feel real, although I try not to go too often.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Steve let me first say that this doesn't sound at all like MS to me. At most it could be a problem with low magnesium levels or perhaps a vitamin B12 deficiency but nothing too serious. For now you can try some magnesium supplements and a B complex vitamin supplement for a week. If that clears this up I'd still have you tell your doctor about this so you levels can be checked