Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My elderly father (aged 87 in September) has recently undergone

My elderly father (aged 87 in September) has recently undergone an operation to remove a sarcoma from the top of his inner leg. He is now waiting to start a course of radiotherapy, but is very concerned at the considerable side effects that may occur. Because of this he is considering scrapping the radiotherapy treatment and just leave it to fate as to whether the cancer returns. He feels that his immediate and near term quality of life is more important than enduring the debilitating effects of ongoing treatment. I would welcome your comments.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this but I think he may be a bit too worried about this. Radiation therapy nowadays can be directed specifically at the leg and nowhere else and the side effects are usually brief and not that bad. There may be some atrophy of the skin and some of the muscle but that can be countered with physical therapy. There may also be some nausea and fatigue from the process of destroying the cancer cells but that too is short-lived. What I'm saying here is that in the long term he shouldn't have any lasting problems from the radiation therapy and he should strongly consider getting it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is particularly concerned about the potential for diarrhoea and pain when passing water, the area concerned is high up close to his groin. perhaps he is looking at the worst case scenario.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes he is indeed but seriously that complication shouldn't happen with the therapy. They can direct it precisely so that it doesn't include his rectum and lower colon and bladder He should discuss this with his oncologist