Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have passed some blood through my bottom when going to the

I have passed some blood through my bottom when going to the toilet
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Has this only happened the one time?
Was this bright red blood or darker blood?
Was it mixed with the stool? Or only on the toilet paper?
Are you having any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is the first time this has happened. Bright red blood not mixed with a stool. I haven't had any other symptoms.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are three perspectives to consider when someone is passing bright red blood that is not mixed with stool.

First, is the consideration of the most common cause of the blood in the stool, which is most likely an anal problem, such as an internal haemorrhoid or an anal fissure (a small tear in the lining of the anus). A haemorrhoid can occur internally or externally, but since you do not describe anything on the outside of the anus, it may be an internal haemorrhoid. These problems are typically more of an irritation than a serious condition.

Second, though, is the consideration of the other possible causes of passing bright red blood. There are several other possible causes, such as inflammation of the colon or from a diverticulum or vascular malformation, but the primary concern is whether it is coming from a growth in the colon, such as a polyp or a cancer. Passing blood in the stool is frequently the first symptom that occurs with these growths. It is this concern that prompts the recommendation that everyone that passes blood in the stool should be evaluated to determine the cause of the bleeding. Colon polyps and cancer become more of a risk as someone ages, which is why colon cancer screening typically starts at age 50, but there is still some risk in someone in their late 40s.

Third, there is consideration of the severity of bleeding. With any bleeding into the colon, it is possible that there is more blood that is still in the colon that has not yet passed. In someone that is having symptoms that suggest significant blood loss, such as lightheadedness, a drop in blood pressure, or an increase in heart rate, there would be concern that there has been significant bleeding, and these people should be seen emergently. The vast majority of people passing blood per rectum do not develop these symptoms, and the evaluation can be done as can be scheduled in the office. So, it is good that you are not having any associated symptoms, but should these symptoms develop, you should be seen emergently.

So, it is most likely that it is a benign problem, but since it is possible that it could be a serious problem, it is recommended that a proper evaluation be done. If no other symptoms develop, it can be done as can be scheduled by your doctor, but if any of the above worrisome symptoms develop, you should be seen emergently.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.