Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

Brain Hemorrhage specialist Neurologist

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking for a Neurologist in UK as I live in Manchester. My aunt is in Pakistan and she had brain hemorrhage 4 days ago on 21st of June and she is admitted in hospital since then. I am looking for an advise - is it a good idea to bring her in UK for treatment (possibly operation)? - is it curable as doctors seen so far are not very hopeful? Your help much appreciated on this.

cheers

Shahzad Zafar

Attachment: 2014-06-25_074343_ct_scan_for_brain.pdf

Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

She is in a very critical condition and it is impossible to shift her on a plane in such condition without a full ventilator support by an experinced team.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Is she is shifa hospital Islamabad.... It is the ebst center to deal with such complicated problem and i hope the doctors will do their best. Shifting her is very very risky and may further put her at risk, so it is wait and see if she recovers or improves over few days.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Is she in shifa hospital Islamabad.... It is the best center to deal with such complicated problem in Paksitan and i hope the doctors will do their best. Shifting her is very very risky and may further put her at risk, so it is wait and see if she recovers or improves over few days.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Let me know her current state as i can help further to estimate the prognosis.

Customer:

except bp is kind of normal now. first day bp was high then after medication it was gone too low. Issue at the moment is number of days since this happened and as doctor says too much blood has gathered inside the head. That means delay will increase the risk and reduce the chances of survival?

Customer:

Yes we have discussed the matter with AL-shifa international consultants.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Ok,

Dr S.A.Alam :

Simple thing you can do is to go to your nearest NHS hospital and consult a doctor there, they can guide you very quickly on this matter and no time will be wasted, you just have to ask the medical officer on call to help you to find the neurosurgeon there.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Based on my knowledge as i have worked in UK it is very high risk shift via aeroplane and i have seen patients pass away during flight due to problems with lack of high tech care, vent support and changes in the pressure in the plane.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for advise.

if we ignore patient location for a bit, is this cure-able in uk? as local doctors are suggesting its not?

Well, telling the truth if there was no midline shift, which in her case is massive 22mm then i would have put the chances of survival upto 40% or less if she has no other medical issues. IN her case chances are very low even if she was in UK.

Let me know if i can be of any more help. Thanks