Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im due to go to a doctor for blood tests to get my licence

I'm due to go to a doctor for blood tests to get my licence back, how long back can he detect alcohol in me system
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Do you know what type of test is being done?
Is it an EtG test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dont know yet ,waiting for a letter to arrive
The specific test will determine the potential duration of detection.

A test for alcohol, itself will only be positive for several hours after drinking, although the exact length of time will also be dependent upon how much alcohol was used.

The EtG test is commonly used because it will be positive for a longer period of time. The EtG, or ethyl glucuronide, is one of the metabolites of alcohol and it takes longer for the EtG to be cleared from the body. It is stated that the EtG can be positive for up to 80 hours after drinking, but this is usually only with heavy alcohol intake and the vast majority of people will be negative long before 80 hours. If you desire to be more certain that it will not be detected, it would be appropriate to use the 80 hour window.

However, it is also important to realize that the EtG is very sensitive and it does not distinguish between any specific source of alcohol. So, small amounts of alcohol, such as in alcohol-free beer, can still cause a positive test.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.