Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have a foot,ankle and leg unresolved problem. Last

Hi, I have a foot,ankle and leg unresolved problem. Last year I was diagnosed with schwannoma. I was just wondering if it could be that. I have a numb feeling in my leg and swollen ankles and in two of my toes. I have had a back operation. This still has not resolved the problem. Had scans on leg but nothing showed. I am now desperate please can you help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If you are asking whether a schwannoma can cause these symptoms, the answer is yes. A schwannoma does not directly cause neurologic symptoms or swelling. But it is possible that a schwannoma could press a nerve or a vein against a hard structure, such as a bone, and cause neurologic symptoms or swelling. The pattern of symptoms that you describe would involve a schwannoma in the leg, but it could happen.

However, a schwannoma in the leg would typically be identified by imaging studies of the leg. You do not say what scans were done on which part of the legs, but if thorough imaging was done and no schwannoma was identified, then it would appear that no schwannoma is present to be causing the symptoms.

If you are asking whether a schwannoma that has been removed could be still causing these symptoms, the answer is no. When symptoms are caused by a schwannoma pressing on a nerve or vein, the symptoms will resolve with removal of the schwannoma.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could you please tell me specialist in the field of Schwannomas? Is there any near me in Woking/Guildford area. Thanks, Marilyn
I am not familiar with the specialists in your area, but there is not a separate specialty for schwannomas. From a medical perspective, it would be a Neurologist, and from a surgical perspective, it would be a Neurosurgeon.