DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, I am quite concerned that I keep suffering from recurring

Customer Question

I am quite concerned that I keep suffering from recurring UTI's. Twice the Lab have found E Coli in my urine, every other time there as been no infection they say. I have had many antibiotice but I always feel like the symptoms are there. I have had this now for 18 months, I am 55 and post menapausal. I went through the change at 51. These came on me approx 3 to 4 years after the change never had UTI's before. Also had ultra sound scan which showed that I have two bladder diverticulum and the urologist is seeing me again on the 4th July for a cystoscopy which is frightening me. I am not frightened of the procedure but im worried that they may have tumors in them. How commom are tumors in diverticulum? and these are apparently 3cm each which seems quite large. What would be the best treatment for these? I am currently on nitrofuratoin a night and twice a week Gynest cream to rub on and around my urethra. This as actually helped me more than anything. I keep thinking its through thinning of the walls of bladder and urethra that Ive had these infections due to lack of estrogen. Could it possibly be that which as caused the diverticulum. Keep wandering whether to have cystoscopy because I have read many horror stories were they have after procedure not felt very well and had urine leakage. I dont want to have it done if they already know I have diverticulum.
Thanks,
Dawn
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Dr. Thomas, MD :

That would not be likely

Dr. Thomas, MD :

What started you thinking this?

Customer:

I feel quite foolish really but I have been reading about bladder diverticulum on the net. In the text I have read it states that they can have malignant tumors in them.

Customer:

You see when I got told I had these I knew nothing about them.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

OK

Dr. Thomas, MD :

I don't see a cancer issue

Dr. Thomas, MD :

take a look at this

Dr. Thomas, MD :

http://urologyaustin.com/general-urology/bladder/bladder-diverticulum.php

Customer:

Right. From what i've read about these they seem to be much more common in males than females is this correct

Dr. Thomas, MD :

somewhat more prevalent in males.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Any other questions?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you have further questions

Let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply to expert as needed.
Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.
I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.