DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, My 22 year old son has just taken 3 Mega Green Tea Extract

My 22 year old son has just taken 3 Mega Green Tea Extract capsules instead of 1. This dose is the equivalent of 1350mg. I wonder if you could advise me as to what we should do. He usually takes 450mg per day.

Angela
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

1 capsule almost equals to 3 cups of green tea. And a daily dose of 3 capsules can be taken without any serious side effects, however, it is not recommended because of the caffeine content which may cause some problems like irritability, heart arrhythmia, palpitations, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
If he took these capsules in an attempt to harm himself then you should report this to the nearest emergency and if he has taken them by mistake then you should observe for any changes in mood, increase in his heart beat and nausea. In case, he experiences any of the above symptoms you should take him to an Urgent Care or an ER.
The recommended daily intake of these capsules is one capsule, so it is advised that he adheres to these instructions.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

I disagree

I am a double board certified US doctor of internal medicine and integrative medicine with over 20 years of clinical experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask a question. Use reply to expert as needed to communicate with me as needed.

The extract is not "equal" to the tea.

In fact, anything over 300 mg a day can have side effects.

I would watch this very closely

In fact, to give you a complete answer, I need to know what medical problems, if any , he has, and what other medications he is on, or supplements.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Use reply to expert as needed.

Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.

I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
The recommended daily dose of the capsules is 450 mg and 3 cups of green tea have approximately 350-400 mg of the active ingredient in them. So, if the above expert is correct then taking even a single capsule will be dangerous as well. I disagree with part of his answer but yes, like I also mentioned, a close observation is required.
Best.
Feel free to reply back.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

In fact as I sated, the extract is not equivalent to the tea. In fact liver damage has been reported with the extract.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, and part of the evidence based group of doctors who use suopplements in clinical practice. We do not recommend over 300mg of the extract a day.

While this is generally presumed to be a low toxicity situation, that is not always the case.

Therefore I have an ethical obligation to clarify the situation.

Since your son has been taking this for some time, and since he has now effectively overdose, in a sense....follow up with his doctor about using this supplement is wise in any case.

Please see this.

http://www.rxlist.com/green_tea-page2/supplements.htm

Reference on reported cases of liver failure

Molinari, Watt, Kruszyna, Nelson, Walsh, Huang, Nashan and Peltekian, Acture Liver Failure Induced by Green Tea Extracts: Case Report and Review of the Literature, Liver Transplantation, Vol. 12, Issue 12, 2006, p.1892-1895.

See this as well:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22306919

Let me know if you have further questions. Use reply to expert as needed. Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating. I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
I think we are deviating from the original question here.
The question was not about the rare side effects of Green tea extracts but it was about the consumption of 3 capsules instead of one.
The site reference this expert provides is of Simple Green tea and not of the capsule your son has ingested and the study he quotes is a Case report and not a multicenter trial.
The manufacturers of this capsule have it available in 450 mg capsules. Green tea can be hepatotoxic in individuals who consume 10 to 15 cups on a daily basis for years at a stretch. Otherwise, the whole subcontinent, China and Japan would have had acute liver failure since the daily consumption of an average person in these parts of the world is 3 to 4 cups of green tea.
While, he can follow up with his doctor and have his liver function tests done, the need for now is to be focused on the current scenario, which is to be watchful of any signs that indicate side effects, which I have mentioned in my first post.
Best.