Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have severe itching around my area, yesterday in my

I have severe itching around my anal area, yesterday in my stools I noticed a 2-3 inch long thing which was like string but it was thin in areas and thick in other areas.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like abnormal bowel movement/ pain in abdomen/ weakness or cough?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im going to the toilet to poo more frequently, ive had cough for at least 6 months but i put that down to smoking, i had cramps twice in my stomach in the last week, my abdomen also feels itchy.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Jackie,

Thank you for that additional information.

The symptoms - anal itching/ pain or cramps in abdomen/ increased frequency of bowel movement and cough make me think of worm infestation. I would get a physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood and stool analysis/ chest x ray to get more answers. A course of anti-parasitic medicine should give relief for sure.

Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking.

Wish you well.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i purchase anti-parasitic medicine for this over the counter at my pharmacy,

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

No, you will need a prescription. Before starting a treatment we need to know the cause too {type of infection}.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have an appointment with the doctor next tuesday, but my condition is driving me crazy, i am bleeding with scratching myself. they said that is the earlest appointment. is there anything i can do to ease the symptoms, also my appetite has increased so much, i feel hungry when i shouldnt ought to really., and bring up bile. what can i use for the itching b4 my doctor sees me, and also could a walk-in centre deal with this problem. sorry to be a pain. frustrated.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Jackie,

I do understand your anxiety and frustration.

Use steroid cream at the anal region. Ibuprofen should relieve inflammation. Benadryl should take care of itching. Use Seitz bath. Have more fiber so that you are not constipated.

Best