Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

does my granson need some help, he is 5 yrs old and is

Customer Question

does my granson need some help, he is 5 yrs old

and is finding school and home life difficult, he worries about every thing, feels he cant doing anything well, he finds it difficult to concentrate, and although hes given loads of encouragement still feels he cant achieve, his father has just come back into his life after a two year break, after 12 weeks of visiting his dad he my grandson no longer wants to visit his home or stay over night, hes says he dont like his dad anymore, hes always been a hyperactive child he, hs seen somebody to see if he has adhd and it would seem that its not that please help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Whether a 5 year old requires help in this situation would depend upon the severity of the symptoms. Many children may have difficulty with school at this age and then stabilize and do very well over the next couple years.

It would be appropriate to consider a more extensive evaluation beyond the assessment that has been done for ADHD. It would obviously be impossible to make a diagnosis over the internet, although some common issues can be stated. It may well be that all of these symptoms could be related to the difficult home and family situation, and trying to create a stable home and family situation may be all that is needed for the issues to stabilize. It is frequently difficult when either parent returns to the situation after a period of absence, and it may be necessary to acquiesce to your grandson's preferences for how to perform further interactions with his father. It is also possible that there could be issues related to social interactions, although this may be difficult to ascertain in a 5 year old.

The usual method for trying to clarify any of these issues would be the further evaluation noted above. In a 5 year old with less severe symptoms, it is frequently fine to give it some time while trying to maintain a stable home and family environment, to see if the problem resolves with time. However, if the symptoms are more severe, then it would be appropriate to consider further help for him, which would first be done by pursuing further evaluation.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.