Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi, my name is ***** ***** Im 32.. I have had what seems to

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm 32.. I have had what seems to be a chest infection for about 6 days now.. Heavy coughing with hardly any mucus and fever with a lot of sweatin when I go to bed.. I wake up several times in the night coughing and I've hardly eaten a thing in the last 5 days. My abdominal is hurting from all the coughing. I keep thinking I'm gonna get better but doesn't seem to be happening. Yes I am a smoker but haven't smoked in the last 2 days. Thx
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The symptoms of chest infection,fever,coughing you are having since last 6 days can be due to bacterial infection.

Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.As it has been 6 days without any relief,so bacterial infection seems to be the most probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Throat culture & Throat examination with a small mirror
-Chest x-ray
-Blood culture

You need oral antibiotics such as macrolide antibiotics (clarithromycin, or erythromycin).High-dose amoxicillin or amoxicillin-clavulanate, plus a macrolide antibiotic may be prescribed accordingly.

Also cough suppressants also called antitussives will be prescribed.Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one.Other cough suppressants include simple linctus, glycerin and lemon and honey, which coat and soothe the back of the throat.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then antibiotics will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you *****
Dr. Robert