DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Doctor, As my question unfolds you will see why I have

Dear Doctor, As my question unfolds you will see why I have dificuilty talking about it to my doctor or family. In a nut shell it is cronic constipation. The relivant facts are that I live in Spain and my female doctor does not speek English. My Spanish is very poor. Two years ago I had a perferated bowel. I wore a colostomy bag for a year then it was repared. At the same time I had two polops removed and a prostate operation. ( I dont know if this was removal or reducing) After two bypass arteries being inserted in my left leg las year, they both blocked, five weeks ago, I had my left leg amputated. Of course, whilst using the colostomy bag, my colon mustle was not being used. The situation now is that my stools are like little lumps of conctete. They have dried out too much. Because of the ruptured bowel, two years ago, I dare not strain too much. My Spanish doctor has prescribed "Dulcolaxo Bisacodilo 5mg gastrorresistentes" I have been taking two tablets every day for the last week. No effect. I have now resorted (not nice) to using a rubber glove and vaseline to prize the stools out. (Small lumps like concrete about the size of a broad bean)
Any advice would help. Do I have to live with this condition. ( I am 75 years old ) Thank you. Regards. Peter Simpson
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Dr. Thomas, MD :

With a history of polyps you need a repeat scope.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Can you see a GI doctor?

Customer:

What is a GI doctor. ? IF I see my GP, she will just prescribe stronger laxative

Dr. Thomas, MD :

A gastroenterologist

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You have to rule out a problem, even after 2 year

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Tell your doctor you are worried about polyps again

Dr. Thomas, MD :

I don't think she will want to take that risk

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Make sense?

Customer:

I am no expert but the stools get to the colon but by that time they are so dry that they dont want to pass through, I would just like to generate one good clear out every few days. You cant imagine, in your wildest dreams, how dificuilt it is to get to see a specilist here.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Tell me your diet

Dr. Thomas, MD :

day to day

Dr. Thomas, MD :

each meal

Dr. Thomas, MD :

exactly

Customer:

Breakfast. Fresh tomato on toast.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Ok

Dr. Thomas, MD :

what else

Customer:

Lunche a snack. Perhaps chees. perhaps a banana

Dr. Thomas, MD :

and?

Customer:

Evening meal. Very healthy. Always green vegitables meat, potatoes. Fruit most evenings

Dr. Thomas, MD :

OK, this is a diet that is bound to cause constipation.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You need a bowel stabilizing diet: the important point is that everything gets cooked the first month.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

As follows:

Dr. Thomas, MD :

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Drink water

Dr. Thomas, MD :

As much movement as possible.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

And see a GI doctor.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Specific foods

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Prunes

Dr. Thomas, MD :

peeled apples

Dr. Thomas, MD :

oat bran

Dr. Thomas, MD :

cooked and ground flax.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

peeled and steamed veggies

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Let me know if you have further questions.

Use reply to expert as needed.

Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.

I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

Customer:

Thanks. I will try it all.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You are welcome anytime

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am a double board certified doctor in internal medicine, integrative medicine, a trained classical homeopath and functional medicine doctor. I have over 20 years of clinical experience and continue to practice.
I am here daily by request. Use my request link with a long lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title.
I am here daily to help you and I strive for prompt, accurate, no nonsense answers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Anytime