Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have a strange little hard lump on top of my foot which has

I have a strange little hard lump on top of my foot which has been there for about five years. It doesn't hurt but will occasionally itch. It doesn't change shape or size. It looks a bit like a big spot or boil but its obviously not one because it seems to be permanent. Any ideas what it might be? I can send photos if that will help.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are there associated symptoms like pain/ redness of the overlying skin/ does the lump move over the bone or does it seem attached?

Photos would help me explain better.

I would wait for your reply and photos.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It moves over the bone. It does appear a bit red sometimes but doesn't feel sore

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Julie,

Thank you for the photos.

I am happy that the swelling is small and is moving over the bone. It is likely a lesion arising from the soft tissue over the foot. It is not arising from the bone for sure {this would have worried me}. The most likely diagnosis would be simple cyst in the soft tissue or some benign {not a cancer} lesion arising from muscle or fat.

Nest step - Look for any sudden change in size/ associated symptoms like fever, pain, difficulty in walking. These should prompt a physical evaluation and may be its removal. Do not prick or squeeze the lesion.

Please do not worry.

Best