Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Please can you advise me. I had a chest X-ray and the result

Customer Question

Please can you advise me. I had a chest X-ray and the result states -

Both lungs are hyper inflated with flattening of the hemidiaphrams. Appearances consistent with obstructive airways disease. No focal lung lesions.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Those findings are usually seen with emphysema and/or chronic asthma and bronchitis. You need to see a pulmonologist about this and you need pulmonary function tests to further determine which diagnosis this is for you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

You don't need to see a specialist.

Your GP can order pulmonary function tests to check you for emphysema

And if you smoke, you must quit. That is essential
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate Dr Phil basically agreeing with me and it is true the PFT's can be done by your doctor but I still would consider bringing in a pulmonologist here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't smoke never have and have never been diagnosed with asthma but I do have a cough periodically that sounds like a smokers cough. How so?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Part of this could be chronic gastric reflux at night that causes a chronic chemical bronchitis and one can have asthma even without any noticeable wheezing. There are also types of emphysema that are seen in nonsmokers and that's why I suggested the pulmonologist.