Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

HI i woke up 3 days ago with pain coming from my lower back

HI i woke up 3 days ago with pain coming from my lower back to my ankle on the right leg, before going to bed i had no symptoms of anything, i took some ibuprofen which eased the pain slightly but returned a few hours later, if i move about the pain appears to get less but when i sit or lay down the pain is quite intense, my lower back on the right side is tender to touch and i thought i had trapped a nerve or something, when i woke this morning through pain i found that the pain had appeared to spread over too my left side and is now also tender to touch, the tender parts to touch are just above my buttocks or the lower back and although i have no pain in my left leg at the moment i am concerned that the issue seams to be getting worse, i use one of the abb belt tonning machines on a regular basis and wonder if this could have contributed to my condition, the pain in the morning is the worse and i find myself having to roll out of bed until i have moved around for a while, do i need to see my local GP or am i worrying for no reason, i am 45 years old with no previous back problems i am medium build around 5ft 8, i weigh approximately 79 kgs so don't consider myself too much overweight, i leave for the start of my new job in a different country on Tuesday and i am worried about my situation.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The symptoms you are having of of tenderness/soreness &pain in lower back radiated to right leg suggests the possibility of nerve root compression.

Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings.This occurs because of wear and tear or
degeneration of the discs.

Another possibility is of lumbar radiculopathy.It is nerve irritation that is caused by damage to the discs between the vertebrae or it can occur when the nerves of the lumbar spine are irritated by mechanical cause or disease.

You need following tests:

-X-ray lower back
-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies

Yes,you need to see your local GP for this.Treatment options are:nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs),Cold therapy, Oral Steroid Medications,Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway,Epidural Steroid Injections.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an urgent appointment with your local GP to have these tests done before leaving the country,so as to know the confirm the underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then you can continue to take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg to get relief from pain.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you *****
Dr. Robert