Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi. I am currently being monitored for liver function abnormality

Hi. I am currently being monitored for liver function abnormality (the reading on one of the results is around 80, when it should be below 50). This has gone down quite well since first result several months ago (actually another result that was also quite high is now back to normal). The doctor has put it down to a virus I may have caught while away on foreign travel (we were in Morocco, Malta, & South Africa in the space of several months).

Anyway, I write as the main discomfort I experience is in my lower back, knees, and less so in the ankles. I would have had discomfort is these areas before due to a couple of sports injuries and had visited a Chiropractor regarding the lower back. Currently, I experience this after sitting for long periods of time, or more significantly when standing. It is worse when standing as it would make me feel a little disorientated and uncomfortable, thinking i might give way (although I never have). I also feel a little breathless sometimes also.

Should I put these things down to the virus (if that's what it is!) or should I seek help regarding the sore back, knees etc. In other words, is the virus highlighting these already weaknesses?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having these symptoms?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please answer the questions above.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

thank you.

Customer:

1.) Probably around 10 months on the liver function abnormality, and they have (for the most part) come down after each blood test.

Customer:

No other medical problems, this was the only thing came up on the first general blood test

Customer:

No medications

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How severe are the pains that you are having?

Customer:

No really pain, just discomfort. It is more uncomfortable when standing

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you used any anti-inflammatories for this?

Customer:

No, I haven't tried anything like that

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should try taking something like over-the-counter ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily after meals for two weeks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This should help with your discomfort.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

See

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Seems most likely to be postviral syndrome.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Which should settle in due course of time.

Customer:

Thanks. Is ibuprofen ok to take with a liver abnormality. I have been scanned on all the major organs and they are fine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

its okay

Customer:

Also, would the weakness in the muscles explain the discomfort when standing and the need sometimes in my mind to sit down etc?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I also think that you should take calcium and vitamin D supplements which are over-the-counter which will help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes weakness in muscles may also explain a part of the discomfort that you are having.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Here is what you should do:
ibuprofen
calcium
vitamin D
magnesium

Customer:

Ok thanks. Would breathlessness on occasion also be linked to post viral?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If your breathlessness continues, however, I would refer you to a chest medicine specialist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

No, I appreciate your responses.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I also meant to say that when standing I would feel a little light headed. Again, would this be normal regarding what I just described?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Standing up and feeling lightheaded means that your blood pressure is dropping when standing. This is called as postural hypotension.
It usually happens when you are not keeping yourself well hydrated or due to a bit of autonomic instability.
It can also happen as a result of post-viral syndrome as well.
But you should also keep yourself well hydrated particularly by drinking electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and pedialyte.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.