Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

My 25 year old daughter is sleep walking and having night terrors.

Customer Question

My 25 year old daughter is sleep walking and having night terrors. She dreams that someone is trying to take her or hurt her. She would scream, jump out of bed and we would find her on the landing in a distressed state. She seems to be awake and talking. We gently put her back to bed and tell her that we are there and it was only a dream and that she is safe.

Other times she has gone down stairs and turned on and off the alarm, got out of bed and got dressed and thought she was looking for her brother's passport, she has come into our bedroom when we were asleep and told me to stop shouting,
She does not always remember and when she does we laugh about it.

She is she is in an internship and studying very hard. She gets stressed out about exams.

She is bubbly, harpy sensitive girl with lots of friends, very pretty and has a nice boyfriend. She has no money worries and drives her own car.

We think these events are brought on by stress and encourage her to go to the gym, not to watch or read anything scary before bed time. I worry about her safety if she is away from home or on holiday in a room with a balcony.

How can we help her without making an huge issue out of it.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.

Greettings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, you see Nght terrors and sleep walking ( clinically termed as Somnaloquy ) are parasomnias that is sleep disorders of deep ( stage 4 of NREM) sleep which are often precipitated by stress or anxiety. Therefore in order to counter her sleep disorders she needs to be started on a drug like Lorazepam at modest dose of 0.5-1 mg to be taken at bedtime or as an alternative she may be placed on Amitriptyline at dose of 25 mg taken at bedtime, either of these drugs are effective enough to counter her sleep condition/s but although lorazepam is a faster acting drug as compared to amitriptyline but it has a potential for abuse and addiction since it is a benzodiazepine drug, so amitriptyline is relatively safer option in terms of addiction and abuse.

You shall discuss these drug options with your family doctor and let him take a call on drug selection. Both drugs are capable of taking care of her stress issues as well besides managing her sleep issues, so the decision shall lay in the hands of your family doctor as to which drug he finds safer to prescribe.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.