Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Me and my husband are planning to start a family this year,

Me and my husband are planning to start a family this year, we have not been able to have penetrative sex as my hymen is not broken but I'm in the process of waiting for an op to get this rectified, I'm 35 and my husbands 41 neither of us have had sex before marriage and neither of us have had sex with anyone else. Please can you let me know what is the liklehood of either one of us being infertile due to our ages and because we haven't been sexually active until now.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. : Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Dr. K. : Hi there. Infertility is not due to virginity at an older age
Dr. K. : it is not related to a mans older age if hes only in his forties. it
Dr. K. : Fertility in women begins to decline at age 35
Dr. K. : The overall incidence of infertility in couples is 10 percent. There is no testing recommended until after you have tried to conceive for 6 months. It may make you feel better to have a semen analysis on your husband and an amh test for you. It is a blood test of ovarian reserve and measures fertility. insurance will not cover either as they are not medically indicated
Dr. K. : hope this helps
Customer: Ok thanks, ***** ***** me feel better and less worried. I read somewhere online that regarding the man if he doesn't have sex at least 3 to 4 times a week or month (I can't remember which) and the older he is it decreases the chances of impregnating a woman, so is that not necessary true then?. Is it unlikely our gp will not recommend a test until 6 months of trying.
Dr. K. : It is not likely your gp will offer any testing at all for 6 to 12 months. Thats because its most likely that you will be pregnant soon. Despite the fact that he has not had sex I am sure he has ejaculated via masturbation. So that works too
Customer: Ok that's fine. He's told me he's masturbated and ejaculated in the past and he's ejaculated when he's been with me through mutual masterbation. So there's probably nothing to worry about this stage then. Thanks for your help
Dr. K. : No nothing to worry about at all. Please consider a positive rating.