Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband was initially diagnosed with COPD, but this condition

Customer Question

My husband was initially diagnosed with COPD, but this condition has deteroitated and now he has continual breathing difficulties, any exertion he becomes breathless and a persistent cough worse in the morning. He had fluid trained from his right lung 10 days ago tests have proved inconclusive the cause of the problem and to date we haven't receive a follow up appointment. Is this common practise and what could be the cause of the condition?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--we can continue after this but what you're describing is a pleural effusion. In his case this could either be from congestive heart failure, a lung infection, or perhaps a serious liver problem. The reasons for draining the fluid is for lessening the pressure on the lung as well as for diagnosis. If the fluid analysis was inconclusive, I would consider congestive heart failure as the most likely cause
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what treatment would now be put in place?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well if it's congestive heart failure he'd need diuretics like Lasix, perhaps either a beta blocker medication or an ACE inhibitor medication to take some of the workload off his heart, and also a medication called Aldactone. He needs to talk to his doctors about this Angela.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been prescribed beta-blockers and warfarin but his IRN reading has dropped to 1.5 can any other medication be prescribed as an alternative to warafin as it has had side effects he has developed a reaction to anaesthetic and the warfarin makes him very lethargic

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Pradaxa and Xerelto are newer anticoagulants that his doctor can consider
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi the other expert opted out. Can I help?