Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My antidepressant tablets do not appear to be working as affectively

My antidepressant tablets do not appear to be working as affectively as they were.
Since Monday my depression has returned. I take 20mg of Citalopram everyday and have been free of depression for about 13 weeks. But it has returned completely out of the blue.

You can imagine this is quite distressing as I thought I was over the worst.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Is Citalopram the only antidepressant you've been on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK David. Many times the dosage of a medication like Citalopram has to be adjusted with time. The maximum dosage is up to 60 mg a day so you need to let your doctor know about this so he can consider increasing your daily dose. The fact that the medication worked well for that many weeks is a good sign that the increased dosage will get you back to feeling better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why would a dosage that seem to be working for 13 weeks or so

suddenly stop over night.

I have gone from feeling as happy as larry, confident and with self asteam to the opposite over night

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I know that seems strange but I've seen it happen many times. The biggest problem when this happens is that the depression feeds on itself and says, "It's always been this way, and it will never get better." What you need to focus on is the good 13 weeks you had and realize that you can get there again. The most important thing is to get up in the morning and put one foot in front of the other and tell yourself that you intend to fight this with everything you've got until you get back on top again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok easier said then done.

The same thing happened at the end of March having been on these tablets since January I had a change of mood overnight. From happy to

sad. After about 10 days I joined the club and this in itself seem to left me. But my Doctor kept me on the same dose. I still get one or two fairly good days and it seems to improve late afternoon early evening.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exercise is very helpful with depression David. If I were your doctor I'd consider increasing the dosage but you need to discuss that with him. Also, if you haven't been in therapy I'd recommend that. I usually don't prescribe antidepressants alone in my patients--I also get them into therapy, because that and the medication usually work much better than just either one alone
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think that would be a good idea, although I can't think of any real issues I have. Over the normal, children driving you up the wall, the wife etc.

Works ok

Thank you for your advice .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure David but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you