DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been prescribed trazodone for anxiety and depression,i

I have been prescribed trazodone for anxiety and depression,i am also on lansaprazole for gastritis. I have side effects including aches and pains, shortness of breath at times and coughing at times, constipation. I have been on these tablets six weeks and the side effects are still there. When will these side effects go away. How long should I stay on these tablets.How long before they take away.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If you still have side effects, after 6 weeks you need to talk with your doctor about changing the medication.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

The idea that you will adapt to side effects can be true in some cases.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

I don't make my patients suffer after 6 weeks.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

There are plenty of medications for anxiety and depression.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Make sense?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Please type a response.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Hello?

Customer:

on average could I stay on them longer doctor gave them for me for three months as I want to go abroad for long holiday

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You can, but why? Unless your side effects are getting better, why would you do that, as side effects can get worse.....it is a sign at this point that you do not tolerate the medicine well. I would discuss this with the prescribing doctor. There are drugs that have a different and better side effect profile.

Customer:

what would you suggest I tried citalopram but came of them

Dr. Thomas, MD :

zoloft has an excellent profile, but really your doctor who knows you needs to help you decide that; wellbutrin is atypical, and you might tolerate that if not SSRI types, then there are newer SNRIs; I would discuss these options.

Customer:

Is it alright to keep on them for longer, it will not cause any harm by doing so

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Can't say. Logically, if you are not getting worse, and you tolerate the side effects, OK. But if you get worse, then I would consider that harmful. That you need to inform your doc about.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Let me know if you have further questions.

Use reply to expert as needed.

Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.

I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Personally , I don't leave someone having untoward effects after 4 weeks.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Not worth it.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Use reply to expert as needed.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
thanks
I am a double board certified doctor in internal medicine, integrative medicine, a trained classical homeopath and functional medicine doctor. I have over 20 years of clinical experience and continue to practice.
I am here daily by request. Use my request link with a long lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title.
I am here daily.