DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a minor rectal prolapse and had a sigmoidoscopy a year

I have a minor rectal prolapse and had a sigmoidoscopy a year ago, which revealed a 'normal' colon with small beginnings of diverticulosis. I was advised to do pelvic floor exercises and have not seen a doctor since, although I had severe abdominal pain last October and the doctor said I was just blocked and gave me a light laxative. I am often constipated, although I eat a high vegetable and fruit diet, no dairy, little gluten, sugar and fat. I do eat a small amount of meat once a day. I also drink at least a litre of water a day, often more, and one small cup of coffee and green tea a day. I have tried to help myself by taking psyllium husk daily, and it did help initially although recently I was constipated again, took the laxative last week, and now since Saturday I have diarrhea which is worse because I leak. I am 66 and have had four children.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Welcome to just answer.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

What is your question?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Please enter chat and type a response

Customer:

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 66
Dr. Thomas, MD :

Are you asking what your diet should be, or are you asking something about the diarrhea/? or both?

Customer:

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 66
Dr. Thomas, MD :

Are you aksing about the diarrhea or your diet or both?

Customer:

I am asking for your professional opinion about what I need to do next

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If the diarrhea is new you need to see your doctor if it persists. It can be the beginning of diverticulitis, or infection of the diverticulosis. This requires the correct antibiotic combination to treat.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

The diet needs to be a bowel stabilizing diet once you are over the diarrhea.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Right now it should be a soft, broth, bland diet.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If the diarrhea persists more than 3 days, certainly lab tests are needed.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If the diarrhea is simply an off and on part of the picture then you should go to the correct diet right away.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

The key here is that everything is initially cooked.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

That is important for 2 months.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Probiotics are also helpful.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Make sense?

Customer:

I would say that this is my diet and has been for some time, apart from the meat, and I have spent a fortune on probiotics to no effect.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

All meat should be stopped for 2 months. Then two months fish only once a week. The carefully add high quality free range meet back. The product I have had the most success with is coloncare by TwinLab, which has soluble fiber and pre biotics.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If the diarrhea persists, stool testing, for bacteria, parasites, etc. is needed.

Customer:

Ok thank you, ***** ***** try that. I have been taking Colon care Psyllium husk for some months but I stopped last week as it was not helping my constipation. With the diarrhea as it is should I carry on now?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You should do the bland broth diet for several days. If the diarrhea gets worse go in.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

cooked apples are specific to diarrhea

Customer:

Ok are you saying that cooked apples would be helpful?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Yes

Customer:

And you say that everything should be cooked, including all fruit?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Yes

Dr. Thomas, MD :

at first

Dr. Thomas, MD :

correctr

Dr. Thomas, MD :

correct

Customer:

I will try what you suggest, thank you.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Anytime

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I strive for excellent service.
Was there a problem?
I don't see any questions not answered?
Let me know.