Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello, I have had an ultrasound today on my abdomen due to

Hello, I have had an ultrasound today on my abdomen due to 2 doctors believing I have gallstones,however whole abdomen was scanned quite thoroughly and no sign of anything in kidneys, stomach, liver or gall bladder. I still have moderate pain in my right side lower back and groin area, I have had persistent pain for over a week now, it started while resting reading a book! I am over weight but have been losing and eating well recently, I also swim regular but obviously cannot do this now, I struggle to pick up my 2 year old, sleeping is uncomfortable and sitting is uncomfortable, I feel weaker than usual and a bit lethargic, I have had blood test with nothing showing and two dip test urine samples done to look for infection, I have had no temperature or vomitting, just constant moderate pain in my right side under the ribs and lower to mid back, occasionally hips both sides hurt and occasionally lower groin,pelvic these feel like period pains. I have had no diarrhea, it doesn't sting when I urinate, I only drink water and usually wee regularly this hasn,t changed, bowel movements pretty much the same no colour change, mu own GP doesn't seem interested but I am 36, I lost my mother to cervical cancer when she was only 37 I am having a very worrying, distressing time now, so much so I have spent the day sorting myself into a right state, I cannot have smear test too painful, awful experience, mental problems accepting the violation. I would like a csa blood test but nobody seems to know where I can get one, willing to pay for this, I don't want my 2 year old picking up on my anxiety as well as the fact that I can't play, or take him swimming or to the park because of these symptoms, any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Lucia
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Do you have regular periods?

Customer: Hello, thank you, ***** ***** to your response
Dr Basu :

sure

Dr Basu :

Do you get regular periods?

Dr Basu :

Is there any blood detected in the urine test?

Customer: Yes to regular periods, no blood in urine tests
Dr Basu :

Now, does the pain radiate to your grin?

Dr Basu :

groin?

Dr Basu :

And when was your last pap smear?

Customer: It's hard to explain and pin point, but I suppose it does, the right side pain and back pain is always there, when I get pain in the groin area it is still in the back and side, but the pain in groin in not constant, 7 years ago last smear, can't have them, they hurt and I had an awful awful experience that has caused me to have mental issues with smears
Dr Basu :

Ok thanks for the explanation.

Dr Basu :

There can still be kidney stones which can be missed by the ultrasound.

Dr Basu :

That is why a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with contrast will be helpful.

Dr Basu :

CT scan will also rule out any tumors or suspicious lesion in your reproductive organs like ovaries, uterus, cervix as well.

Dr Basu :

There is a blood marker called CA 125 testing which may be ordered.

Dr Basu :

THis is not a specific test but a high value requires further testing.

Dr Basu :

Now I understand your psychological fear on pap smear.

Dr Basu :

To avoid that, we recommend just a vaginal smear to check for HPV infection at least.

Dr Basu :

HPV is human papilloma virus.

Customer: Ok, the smear still horrifies me, how would I get csa blood test?
Dr Basu :

This is a new promising test although the efficacy has not been proven yet.

Dr Basu :

The test can be falsely positive in many cases, but still can be used in this case.

Dr Basu :

YOur doctor can order this.

Customer: Ok, I have some options to put to them now.
Customer: thank you