Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi I had an acute case of sarcoidosis 3 years ago and was

I had an acute case of sarcoidosis 3 years ago and was on steroids for just over a year which seemed to clear things up and regular check ups since. The condition was mainly in my lungs with a constant cough and shortness of breath plus swelling and painful joints. Since Christmas both wrists are painful with lumps plus very painful hips, I am taking 90mg daily of Arcoxia which helps with the pain but not any puffers. My main concern at the moment is I feel my breathing is not right, I know at times this is worse due to anxiety which I have suffered with for over 20 years and have been on fleuroxitine for the condition continuously over this period.

I am booked in for an MRI scan in a weeks time for my back but consultants have told me that everything seems normal with my lungs.

What I am asking about is my lungs which do concern me. Before Christmas I went to exercise class twice a week but have not been since as I tend to get out of breath easily and always coughing (not the same cough that I had when diagnosed with sarcoid), I cough to try and clear my lungs as they never feel clear, unless I am doing some sort of physical activity, i.e. bending about in the garden and then the cough clears things. If I roll over onto my back in my sleep I very often wake up suddenly not being able to breath.

I am a 56 year old women who just wants to feel fit again and get back to leading a normal life and return to cycling and walking with my family but at the moment my breathing does greatly concern me - can you help?

Diane
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please give me a moment as I read your question fully

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been to a chest medicine specialist?

Customer:

Yes, I have seen a lung consultant 2 months ago and another meeting in August to come.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How is your shortness of breath currently?

Customer:

At the moment fine - it comes and goes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you walk briskly without being short of breath?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any pulmonary function tests?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

or CT scan of your lungs?

Customer:

No I cannot walk briskly without being short of breath. I had my last pulmonary function test in January, I had a cold at the time and they said it was below what it should be but they would put it down to my cold. I had a CT scan of my lungs 3 years ago when I was first diagnosed with Sarcoid.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that you require another pulmonary function test and a high resolution CT scan or at least a PFT first.

Customer:

What is an PFT

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why I say that is because I would like that a restrictive lung disease should be ruled out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

pulmonary function test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

PFT = pulmonary function test.

Customer:

I have my next appointment with the chest clinic on 4th August

Customer:

If this is down to the result of my sarcoid do you think a puffer would help?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If its due to sarcoidosis then puffer will most likely not help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If there is some wheezing in the lungs then it may help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But if there is no wheezing then puffers usually do not help.

Customer:

I have been told that everytime I have a cold from now onwards I need to take antibiotics so I assume they know that my chest is not as strong as it used to be.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, your lungs are not as strong as they used to be.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That's pretty certain.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help I will wait to see the specialist in August.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)