Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My mum has not been able to eat anything but soup for the last

Customer Question

My mum has not been able to eat anything but soup for the last couple of months. She went for an endoscopy today and they found a blockage mid way in her gullet. They said it was a small growth. I can't stop crying as I am thinking the worst. Do you think it could be something else apart from the dreaded "C"
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--a small growth in her esophagus wouldn't be causing the problem she's having with eating and it could just be a benign adenoma or even a small stricture. Even if it were cancer if it is small that can be totally resected easily for cure. I of course can't tell you exactly what it is until the biopsy results come back but it doesn't sound like cancer to me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

I am glad she had an upper endoscopy.

esophageal cancers often will block solid food but allow liquid foods to go down like soup

habits like smoking and alcohol can increase risks for esophageal cancers.

I hope her biopsy doesn't come back cancerous

but if it does she has options for radiation therapy at her age to help shink the esophageal cancer and help her eat better and allow solid food to pass down.

if it is an esophageal cancer, she will also benefit from a CT scan of the chest to look for areas of cancer spread to lymph nodes of the mediastinum as well.

when does she get the results from her biopsy back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is going on Monday for a CT scan but they didn't say when the results would be back.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
that is good she is going for a CT scan

that can tell if there is evidence of possible spread to lymph nodes

sometimes barium swallow studies with contrast can help as well clarify how long and large the eosphageal lesion is.

usually CT scan results can take 3-7 days to get finalized and read and reported properly by the radiologist in the UK.

the biopsy results can take 7-10 days to finalize as well.

let me know what the results show. I will be happy to review them with you

try to get her to eat as many calories through her soups as possible. I hope she is not loosing weight. if she is loosing weight, you can add more calories into soup by putting cream into her soups to make cream of soups for her.

best of luck to you and her

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr David

My mum has been diagnosed with "IT". They cannot operate but said it is the something beginning with "s" cells version which can be treated with radio/chemo. She has to have a PET scan now as there were possible things going on on nearby nodes and they think there was a small lesion on her lung but the doctor didn't seem too worried about those, but wants to make sure.

I am so scared Dr David, just not sure what all thsi means. Can the chemo shrink it or completely kill it?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry she has been found to have cancer.

it sounds like a squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus which can be treated with radiation and chemotherapy.

I am glad she is getting a PET scan. the PET/CT scan will see if the esophageal cancer has spread to the lungs or lymph nodes, hopefully it has not

there is a small chance if the cancer has not spread that the radiation and chemotherapy can get rid of the esophageal cancer.

there is a very very good chance that radiation and chemotherapy will shrink the cancre and allow her to eat better and allow solid food to go down her esophagus.

best of luck to you and her