Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello I was told on Saturday that I have a mild form of IBS.

Customer Question

Hello I was told on Saturday that I have a mild form of IBS. Though I did not have any sort of tests done. Do I need to have a specific test to be accurate?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Do you have bloating and excess formation of gas?
Have you noticed change in bowel pattern?
Do you have pain in lower belly?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Robert

Yes I have some bloating, Excess gas and a change in bowel pattern once a day soft stool. I do have a bit of stomach and belly pain when I eat milk products leafy greens and when I'm extremely hungry. I'm a hairdresser by trade and don't have regular eating habits .

Kind Regards

A

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing additional information.
I can understand your concern.

Yes your symptoms are related with IBS.
IBS is a group of symptoms that occur together.

IBS is diagnosed with physical exam and take a complete medical history.
As such, there are further no tests for this condition. I don't feel the need for tests.

You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.
You should chew food slowly. You should eat smaller meals more often, or eating smaller portions, rather than large meals.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest. You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.
Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.

As you have a mild form of IBS, so it can be managed with lifestyle and dietary modifications.

Proper dietary control should be done.
Best bet is- Get your diet schedule managed from dietitian.

Good luck and Take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!

A

Dear,
Most Welcome.

Thanks for using justanswer.com