Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 57 years old post periods about 4 years ago. I hold down

Customer Question

I am 57 years old post periods about 4 years ago. I hold down a full time job where I have to be pretty switched on. I find my memory is terrible I can't concentrate for long. And I feel teArfull and paranoid all the time. No motivation, can't sleep. I lay awake though the nite worrying all the time. I worry also about my bones as I get older. My question is would Hrt help me. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hell from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Have you had any evaluation for these symptoms?
If so, what has been done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No that's why I am asking you
Well, I can provide information, but I cannot perform the appropriate evaluation.

It is possible that the oestrogen deficiency of menopause can contribute to memory lapses or difficulty concentrating. Menopause also can contribute to depression and sleep disturbance. Like most menopausal symptoms, these symptoms tend to ease over time, but any menopausal symptom may be more severe or persistent for some women.

However, there are other conditions that also should be considered, such as metabolic disorders, thyroid disease,vitamin deficiencies, etc.

The decision of whether to consider a trial of HRT would first depend upon a proper evaluation to be certain that there is no other medical condition that could be contributing to the symptoms. Once it is felt that the symptom is menopausal, then there would need to also be an assessment of risks associated with HRT, such as a personal or strong family history of breast cancer or the presence of other risk factors for heart disease.

So, there should first be a proper evaluation to assure that there is no other cause of the symptoms, and if not, then there is a good chance that HRT may be of benefit. However, there still would need to be an assessment of risks associated with HRT before a final decision is made regarding the use of HRT.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.