Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had diarrhoea for more than 18 months.I have ha a colonoscopy

I have had diarrhoea for more than 18 months.I have ha a colonoscopy which was clear except from a small area of inflamation which was supposed to clear by itself. My doctor has prescribed Loperamide which I have taken regularly but I still have sessions recuring. I now wonder if I have too much fibre in my diet Could this be the cause?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that an excessive amount of fibre in the diet can contribute to chronic diarrhoea. Actually, fibre is necessary for the creation of formed stools, so an inadequate amount of fibre also can be a factor in diarrhoea. But it is possible that an excessive amount of fibre could be a cause of chronic diarrhoea.

There are many other factors to consider as possible causes which were probably considered when you had the previous evaluation that included the colonoscopy. If other possible causes have been considered and excluded, then it would be appropriate to consider the fibre content of the diet as a possible cause.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.