Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

a few years ago my father substained a wedge fracture to the

Customer Question

a few years ago my father substained a wedge fracture to the t12 vertabre from a helicopter crashwhich requires him to regularily wear a brace when walking any distanceor having to stand for long periods which inhabites him being able to sit downunless seating is in a reclining position. As a result of this travelling in an unreclined position requires him to travel stood up if he sits down without the brace especially on low seating he struggles to get up as it causes him pain to do so without support either from grab rails or a table in front . he is then left in pain and can hardly walk until he has had a lie down where the pain subsides . If he leans forward the slightest bit for more than a few seconds this causes an aching painif he stands without the brace he pushes his fists into the small of his back which eases the discomfort. if he walks in excess of 30 yards he gets a terrible pain down the rear of his left leg when seen by a physiotherapist was told he only has 30% neck movement he is also in pain when having to remove his lower clothing as this requires him to bend and struggles to return to an upright position if he has nothing to grab onto.
Are the above symptoms usual with this injury ? and is the pain in his left leg when walking also a factor ? at the moment my father and brother are in prison but are entitled to visit each otherbut the prison system insists that it is my father that travels even thou they are aware of his condition so they have not seen each other for 3 years with this injury would it be painful for my father to travel in a non reclined position or stood up in a prison van for a trip of 2 hours both ways ? the big question is due to this injury would this requirement of my father being required to travel put him at a considerable disadvantage ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I'm sorry that no expert has yet provided an answer, but this is likely because it is impossible to answer some of these questions over the internet.

It can be said that a wedge fracture can cause these symptoms. This severity of symptoms that has persisted for this length of time would not be the usual manifestation of a wedge fracture of T12, but it is possible.

However, it cannot be said over the internet that someone with this type of injury would or would not have this pattern of symptoms. Since you tell me that it is painful, I have no reason to doubt it, but I cannot say that it would be expected from this injury or that it places him at a considerable disadvantage.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.