Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I recently had a very stressful couple of months. I am wondering

I recently had a very stressful couple of months. I am wondering if my physical state now is a result of that or not. I started getting heart palpitations and breathing difficulties all the time. They went for a week, but since returning to my home abroad have returned. I feel very tired and am getting very depressed by this. My ears also feel a bit blocked. I am wondering if this could be a build up of anxiety or perhaps anaemia as I have heavy periods. I am confused as I thought it had gone and now it's come back.
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 2 years ago.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Can you explain your symptoms in some detail >

Customer: I am an expat in Mongolia and recently had to travel back to England as my mum was seriously ill. When I was there I started getting heart palpitations and shortness of breath. It was happening all the time. It then went for about a week and I felt released. I since travelled back from Mongolia and it has started happening again. I am also very tired. I am wondering if it is a result of a build up of stress
Customer: Yesterday I felt abit better but then today I have it again
Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you get dizzy when this happens ?

Customer: Not really
Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you have any previous medical issues ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

are you taking some medicine ?

Customer: No
Dr S.A.Alam :

Any tests done recently ?

Customer: No
Dr S.A.Alam :

Chest pain ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

DO you get short of breath on lying down ? specially at night ?

Customer: no, not any more I did at first a bit but I think because I was so anxious about it
Customer: mm I suppose a little
Dr S.A.Alam :

swelling of feet ?

Customer: no
Customer: my ears feel a bit blocked
Dr S.A.Alam :

Ok, thank you for your replies. None of these symptoms seem to be or cardiac or lung related.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Possible cause can be anemia or stress.

Customer: how do you know if it is cardiac or lung related?
Dr S.A.Alam :

You need to have blood test to check for hemoglobin... and and ECG as a protocol to see the heart rate.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Well, there are few symptoms that are known for heart or lung disease these are not present in your case

Dr S.A.Alam :

you do not have high risk for heart disease

Customer: I do have bad periods so potentially could effect my iron levels
Dr S.A.Alam :

so it is very less likely to have heart disease in your case.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Heart disease has very different features which are absent in your case.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Customer: Is it possible to feel like this from anaemia?
Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes because when there is low hemoglobin heart has to increase its rate to manage the proper blood flow to all organs

Dr S.A.Alam :

so heart rate keep high in such cases.

Customer: And breathing?
Dr S.A.Alam :

In case it is heart related it is more at night, awakes person from sleep and is associated with chest pain or discomfort.

Dr S.A.Alam :

This shortness of breath seems more likely to be stress related and anemia related

Customer: I have woken in night with heart palpitations but not chest pain
Dr S.A.Alam :

because you mentioned that you feel tired as well

Customer: yes
Dr S.A.Alam :

Heart palpitations in stress do occur at night but if they are awaking you after you went in for deep sleep then it means there can be a possible fast heart rate or arrythmia which needs to be checked,

Dr S.A.Alam :

A holter test is best for this which can help to rule out this anomaly.

Customer: so it is normal for someone to wake at night with heart palpitations from anaemia. Is it more likely to develop anaemia during stressful Times?
Dr S.A.Alam :

Still i think it is more of your anemia and stress which is causing this, but in any case if a person is awaken from sleep with symptoms then it needs to be evaluated for possible arrythmia.

Customer: And why would it go for a week and then come back?
Dr S.A.Alam :

In case of stress it occurs in episodes

Dr S.A.Alam :

more likely be to a place related or occupation related in such cases.

Customer: what because I moved back from England to Mongolia?
Customer: my body is under stress?
Dr S.A.Alam :

It is very much possible if you have something on the back of your mind or something that is continuously bugging you

Customer: not really, i think it is a back log of stress
Dr S.A.Alam :

it goes in your sub conscious and creates a stress like situation.

Customer: Yes I understand. If it was arrhythmia, would it go away and come back like that?
Dr S.A.Alam :

In case of arrhythmia you need to have other symptoms

Dr S.A.Alam :

like dizziness, blackouts feeling of weakness and unable to carryout your work

Dr S.A.Alam :

It is possible because in stress arrythmias like atrial arrythmias are very common.

Dr S.A.Alam :

not in all cases you need to have all these associated symptoms.

Dr S.A.Alam :

so a mild type of arrhythmia can go on with stress.

Customer: And then will they go away when stress goes? Final question... And thank you for your help. Does anaemia more likely develop during times of stress? And do the physical effects often feel quite serious?
Dr S.A.Alam :

It is possible that these problems can be together as incidental

Dr S.A.Alam :

physical effects are not serious in case of mild anemia.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Thank you...

Customer: No but can they feel serious
Customer: ?
Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes true, in case of extreme cases, most cases do not cause serious problems if corrected timely.

Dr S.A.Alam :

So best option/advise is to go see your doctor

Customer: I don't have one
Dr S.A.Alam :

have a blood complete examination

Dr S.A.Alam :

and ECG.

Customer: as live in mongolia
Customer: But thank you
Dr S.A.Alam :

You are welcome.

Dr S.A.Alam :

It was nice to have chat with you.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Come back if you need more help.

Customer: and you think it's nothing too serious?
Dr S.A.Alam :

Kindly rate my answer as excellent so that i can be credited for my time and assistance.

Dr S.A.Alam :

No, it does not seems serious as there are no serious symptoms as i had mentioned.

Customer: thank you
Dr S.A.Alam :

Still it needs to be evaluated as i had mentioned.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Welcome.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Have a nice day.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do not forget to rate the answer, thanks.

Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K