Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife, 74, of Indian origin, suffers from kidney damage.

Customer Question

My wife, 74, of Indian origin, suffers from kidney damage. Her blood serum levels of UREA at 21.4mmol/L and of creatinine at 243mmol/L are very high. Her serum potassium, bicarbonate and chloride are normal. Her blood presure and diabetes ( she is on insulin) are under contol and her most obvious symptom is itching. I shall be grateful if you will advise me how she can lower her high levels of serum urea and creatinine. We are trying very hard to prevent her going on the dialysis pocedure. Please help. Thank you.
Chandru Keswani
London
Tel: 0208(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first let me ask if her doctors are treating her kidney problem with any medications and then can you tell me if she's on any specific diet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she is being treated by her doctors but is not on any specific medication for kidney problem but she did have twice intravenace iron injections at the hospital and she is on a strict diet of low protein and salt.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Bela. The diet is essential and she also needs to avoid any potassium rich foods. Tight control of her diabetes is also essential. In addition and medication like an ACE inhbitor can help to protect her kidneys from any further damage. Weight loss and exercise are also important if she's overweight
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is ACE inhibitors? If her current levels serums of urea and creatinine are stablised, can she avoid being put on dialysis? I would like to do everything posible for her to avoid dailysis and request any further suggestions you have. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, if the levels stabilize she won't need dialysis Bela. ACE inhibitors are one type of blood pressure medication but they are given to people with kidney disease even if they don't have high blood pressure to protect the kidney function. Some examples are lisinopril, ramipril, and enalapril.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Bela--I got a notice that you had posted more to me on this page but I don't see that--was there more information you needed?