Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I was diagnosed with Shingles rash 9th May; the pain

I was diagnosed with Shingles rash 9th May; the pain has affected the nerves from behind my left shoulder blade and left arm to the tips of my fingers. I can't take Ibuprofen and prescribed CoCodamol and Tramadol made me sick.

I've just fininshed a month's supply of Lyrica, 300mg a day; side effects - increased lack of balance (I have Tinnitus and sligh hearing loss); confusion; increased appetite and weight! The good news it made me feel less anxious, but still a way to go!

Yesterday the Doctor prescribed me with Gabapentin 300mg, and I have just read the possible side effects in the enclosed leaflet - I quote "Very common (occurs in more than 1 in 10 users) feeling drowsy, dizziness, lack of coordination, fever."

I had 3 weeks off work and can't take any more. Should I take the risk?

Sue Batey.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. How severe is your pain now and how much better it is than before? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Hasan,

Better than originally but can still keep me awake at night. In the day it helps to hold it up against my chest.

Hope this helps.

Sue Batey.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Sue thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. You must start taking gabapentin. You doctor has started you on lowest possible dose. If you will start the drug after reading the side effects, you will gain nothing but anxiety because every drug has side effect but not everyone gets it. You might not be 1 in those 10 people. The severity of your pain indicates that it is still bothering you and avoiding gabapentin will make the problem worse. But yes there are ways by which you can reduce the intensity or occurrence of these side effects. Take your drug in between the meals, this means that eat half meal, then take the drug and then eat rest of the meal. Drink plenty of water during whole day. These measures will help you and please don't avoid the drug. It is very effective drug and is going to help you. By the end of 2nd week, you are likely to be perfect. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome. My best wishes and payers will be with you. Please feel free to contact me again to update about your illness. I Will be glad to assist you always. Regards