How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55497
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

My husband has recently been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate,

Resolved Question:

My husband has recently been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate, he is currently trying to cope with the effects instead of taking medication with a view to trying medication in a few months time when we next visit his Urologist. After intercourse he feels a lot of discomfort and soreness, is this due to the prostate? Many thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rachael

I'm sorry about your husband

The answer to your question is possibly

I am suspecting he might have a prostate infection. prostatitis can result in pain after ejaculation.

This can be treated with antibiotics

He needs a rectal exam where the doctor presses on the prostate and if it is painful, that is a good sign of infection

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would an infection be due to the enlarged prostate, is this quite common.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Yes, enlarged prostates more commonly become infected

So he might need treated for both

However, sometimes treating the infection solves both problems!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you recommend a course of antibiotics and which type? This is a recurring problem after intercourse could it still be an infection each time?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Yes this could be a chronic infection like chronic prostatitis

It could also be just an enlarged prostate

I would definitely try a course of cipro though

Like 500 mg twice a day for 14 days
Dr. Phil, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
you're welcome Rachael :)

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)

Related Medical Questions