Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572
Medical

my blood pressure is 167 over 95 should i be worried

my blood pressure is ... Show More
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If this is an isolated reading and your usual blood pressure is normal (<150/90 for otherwise healthy people), then it is not as worrisome and it would be appropriate to simply monitor the blood pressure and see if it returns to normal.

If this is your baseline level of blood pressure, meaning that the blood pressure is about this level most of the time, then it would be considered hypertensive. It is not at a level that would be considered acutely dangerous, but it is at a level at which it is recommended that treatment be done to lower the blood pressure to get it below 150/90. Treatment would be a combination of lifestyle changes (eating a healthy diet, avoiding salt, and getting regular exercise) and/or medicines to lower the blood pressure.

Therefore, if this is an isolated reason, it would only need to be monitored, but if it is your baseline level of blood pressure, it is not acutely worrisome, but it does warrant proper treatment to get the blood pressure under control.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 years ago.
I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification.