Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I have recently been diagnoses with Hepatits B.I have taken

Hi I have recently been diagnoses with Hepatits B.I have taken several test to make sure I was positive and I also took PCR test and result came out to be "HBV-DNA PCR 43/37 IU/ml" Would you please tell me what this result means?
Many Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The lab reports for HBV DNA by PCR is measuring the exact number of viruses that can be detected in the blood, and usually reports one number, rather than two numbers separated by a "/". Sometimes the value can be reported as a standard number and sometimes as a logarithmic number, but this also usually would not be reported in the manner that you describe. Could you scan the report so that I can review the result?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dr. D. Love

As I travel a lot I got my test from a country I was visiting. They have the original test result. but this is what they have sent me via Email.

I have requested them to send me the scanned copy of the result. I will send it to you as soon as I get it.

I have some gassy feeling in my stomach and some times and also I have red itchy spots in my palms Can they be related to HBV? In general Im very healthy never experienced any major health problem in my life.

Well, let me tell you what the test means in general first.

The HBV DNA test is looking directly for the virus by looking specifically for the DNA genetic material of the virus. The method by which it looks for the DNA is by PCR (polymerase chain reaction), which is a method for amplification of the DNA material to make it easier to measure.

The presence of HBV DNA is indicative of an active infection, although a full interpretation involves all of the hepatitis antigen and antibody test results. For many labs, it requires at least 20 IU/ml for the DNA to be detected, but the range of virus that can be detected can be as high as 170,000,000 IU/ml. As a general rule, it is more of a concern when more of the virus is present. Also, the test results over time will indicate whether it is increasing or decreasing. Consequently, sequential testing will also be used to monitor the response to treatment.

It is unclear what a value of 43/37 represents, as our lab does not report using the "/". It is possible that the 43/37 reflects two different measurements for confirmation, since it was such a low number, but this is why it will help if I can review the lab report.

As for the abdominal gas and the itchy spots, yes, these symptoms can be related to HBV. These are non-specific symptoms that can occur with any form of liver disease, so are not unique to HBV.

If you can attach the lab report once you have received it, I would be glad to review it and provide further comment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr.

I also took a sonography. Does it tell anything I should be concerned?

This is an ultrasound report, not the lab report. This shows diffuse disease of the liver, which can occur with HBV disease. A mildly enlarged spleen can also occur with any form of liver disease. There is nothing here that is concerning beyond the known HBV infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is my second lab test but I dont think it gives much information rather than saying if its positive or not. I will send you the PCR test result as soon as I have it. Many Thanks

Yes, these tests are only helpful in saying that there is no HIV or Hepatitis C present.