Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i feel sick every time I drink coffee. I am not affected by

Customer Question

i feel sick every time I drink coffee. I am not affected by drinking any other beverage.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are several components of coffee that can cause stomach irritation. The component that gets the most attention is caffeine. If you are able to tolerate other beverages with a similar amount of caffeine, though, it is more likely that it is one of the other components, such as catechols or tryptamides, that is causing the stomach sensitivity.

If you were able to tolerate coffee without difficulty prior to 6 months ago, it is also possible that there is an underlying acid irritation syndrome in the stomach that may be contributing to the problem.

At one level, if you are having no symptoms with avoidance of the coffee, and this is not an issue for you, this does not need to be treated. You can simply avoid the coffee. However, if this is an issue, you can try a medicine to suppress acid release in the stomach to see if this would ease the coffee sensitivity, although it may take several weeks for the acid irritation syndrome to resolve with treatment. Common medicines that are used to suppress stomach acid include Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid. It is also worth noting that the relative amounts of these other compounds can vary according to how the coffee beans are roasted, so some people may find that a lighter or darker roast may be sufficient to be less irritating to the stomach, including some people find that a darker roast is better tolerated.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.