Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I suffer from grade 4 knee arthritis and spinal arthritis but

I suffer from grade 4 knee arthritis and spinal arthritis but just over the past 3days my knee has become super painful . It has got progressively worse since Saturday to the point where I cannot put any weight on it. I have also been very nauseated with a lot of diahorrea. Help!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. There are two different things going on here and I don't think they are related unless you have what's called a septic joint--an infection in the knee. That might account for the diarrhea and nausea but that could be separate. It's possible that you have a bacterial enteritis in addition to the knee problem. All in all you need to see your doctor for an exam, blood work, perhaps an MRI of the knee, a stool sample for culture, and you probably are going to need antibiotics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, I was thinking of septic arthritis but the knee is not red although I feel really awful. Urine test is clear, faeces sample sent off today . Should I wait for a few days to see if things settle?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can wait for now Dorothy as long as you keep up with the fluid loss from the diarrhea with plenty of juices. You can also try the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.