Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Dear Doctor. I am in a state of panic at the moment, my son

Customer Question

Dear Doctor. I am in a state of panic at the moment, my son got splashed with blood in a nightclub, he was not involved, but the guy who's blood it was said he was HIV + my son went and had a hep B jab and has had two negative HIV tests. He has just been home from UNI and I have just cleaned up the bathroom, just after he has been in there I clean up the sink and there was blood from where he had just cleaned his teeth, I have a small cut on my hand which is two days old. Could I have caught HIV from this? I have OCD and I am trying hard to do CBT, I cleaned up the bathroom after my son came out without thinking and now I am so worried, please help me, I have just had Breast cancer so things are hard at the moment and I am scared of illness.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. : Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today. from what you have said your son is hiv neg and you have no cause for concern
Dr. K. : How long ago was his exposure?
Dr. K. : the actual risk of aquiring hiv thru eye exposure is 1 in 1000
Dr. K. : The risk of small exposure to skin is zero. The risk of exposure to a tiny cut is less than 1| 1000
Dr. K. : I do not think you have anything to worry about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr K I also while cleaning up my sons bathroom picked up his shaving razor to put it away and caught my finger on the blade, this was two days after he used it. Is this also Ok or could I have exposed myself to HIV, bearing in mind he has had two negative results. I am Obsessive I know but I am trying to work out what is obsessive and what is not.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Your son is hiv negative. So these exposures are not "exposures" that you need to worry about. You are being obsessive. :)