Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Thank you Dr K. My son was exposed about three months ago.

Thank you Dr K. My son was exposed about three months ago. He had a recent tattoo on his chest, but was wearing a T Shirt. He had a Hep B Jab as well as HIV tests. Could I be at risk clearing up his blood after cleaning his teeth? Even with a small cut on my hand? and not wearing gloves ?I was. dental nurse for 20 years and cleaned up lots of blood, but since I have had Thyroid and Breast Cancer I am scared of illness and dying. I have become very obsessive and I am trying to get over this. But this today has set me panicking. Sorry
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

The chance of you contracting hepatitis or HIV is extremely low based on the information you gave me

Dr. Natasha :

you need a gash on the hand which is bleeding and be in contact with fresh blood

Dr. Natasha :

honestly, you would have contracted HIV years ago when you were a dental nurse- because HIV was not often detected or treated

Dr. Natasha :

people are pretty aggressive with treatment now

Customer: The blood was fresh, from my son teeth and I cleaned up without thinking, I cannot remember washing my hands straight after as I practise CBT for my OCD. My son has Aspergers and does not think about cleaning up after him, but he is very intellegent and says he has had two Neg HIV tests. My cut on my hand is very small but I am still worried, should I be?
Dr. Natasha :

I do not think that you should be concerned at all

Dr. Natasha :

it woudl need to be a large, fresh cut

Customer: So I don't need testing? Or the rest of my family, as my son does use anybody toothbrush. I am so sorry to be silly.
Dr. Natasha :

No, you do not need any testing

Dr. Natasha :

at all

Dr. Natasha :

Did I provide you with excellent service?

Customer: When you say a large cut do you mean over an inch? The blood was fresh. And I don't know when I washed my hands. I am so grateful for your answers.
Dr. Natasha :

yes a large cut on YOU

Dr. Natasha :

around 1.5cm

Dr. Natasha :

Customer: If my son has had two negative HIV tests does that mean he is OK
Dr. Natasha :

yes

Customer: Thank you for your help
Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :