Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a mysterious lump on the inside of my thigh at the very

I have a mysterious lump on the inside of my thigh at the very top, it is a bit tender especially when rubbed by trousers. My muscle at the back of my thigh feels tight but doesn't hurt on exercise.

The lump appears red and blotchy, I thought it might have been an ingrowing hair follicle but I have been doing lots of long distance running and wonder if it's a hernia as it doesn't seem to be going away.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Since how many days you have noticed this lump?
Does the lump hurt when pressure is applied?
Any discharge from it?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I noticed it 2 days ago but have felt a pull in the back of the thigh for a few weeks and where the lump is has been tender for a couple of weeks too.

There is no discharge it's tender to touch but not agony

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you have described of painful mysterious lump on the inside of your thigh does not seem to be due to hernia.

The most probable cause of this seems to be due to folliculitis.It is inflammation of one or more hair follicles.The damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria staphylococcus.

Hernia lump is usually not painful,red & blotchy.

Another less likely possibility is of sebaceous cyst.

Swabbing the skin, then sending it to a laboratory for bacterial and yeast cultures will confirm the infection.

Apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.Take tab.Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.All these are available as OTC without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still the symptoms persists,then oral antibiotics & other medications may be prescribed by doctor.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you *****
Dr. Robert