Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had kidney cancer and the kidney was removed 6 years ago. I

I had kidney cancer and the kidney was removed 6 years ago.
I hate taking anti depressants as they make me feel awful and tired etc.
I was given Mirtazapine 15mg but I have not tried them yet. I am 73 years of age and when I see that care should be taken if kidney function is not right I am frightened to start them in case they damage my one remaining kidney. GP does blood tersts once a year!
Are they safe for me. Is there a very low dose of an anti depressant I could try. I am due to see my GP in a couple of days.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your level of creatinine?

Customer:

I will just look at my last blood test results ,I will be a moment serum creatinine 85 umol/L (46-92)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your creatinine is excellent which means the one kidney that you are having is working well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You have been started on the lowest possible dose of mirtazapine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

15 mg is a low dose.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So this should not be a worry with your creatinine level.

Customer:

okay. Is there a n anti depressant that is lower agin in dose?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Every antidepressant has its own dose.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its just like salt and sugar, when you use sugar you will use more of it to make a glass of water sweet. If you want to make something salty it requires only a pinch of salt.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The the dose of every medication differs.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

15 mg is a low dose for mirtazapine.

Customer:

When I look at the possible side effects it puts me off trying them. I always end up not being able to get out and about but becoming very tired. I thought they were supposed to brighten you up and take away enxiety!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The response of an antidepressant medication varies from person to person. If it works in a person it will brighten the person up and bring back energy. When its not working then, obviously, you will continue to feel tired with lack of energy and depressed.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would recommend that you should give mirtazapine a good try to see if that helps you.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for your help.