Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I took aprox 250 MC of misoprostol. I ha d very mild contractions

Customer Question

I took aprox 250 MC of misoprostol. I ha
d very mild contractions for a couple of hours followed by moderate to light bleed
ing for 24 hrs aprox. Will my baby be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How far pregnant are you?
What was the reason for taking the misoprostol? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was having a hard time excepting the pregnancy, as soon as I too the pill I regreted it. I was 15 weeks pregnant. I am having plenty of movement now and am devastated that I could have harmed the baby. thank you.

Most likely there was no harm to your baby. When taken early in pregnancy, misoprostol is thought to increase the chance of birth defects a small amount. However, at 15 weeks, it will not harm your baby, except that it causes contractions and, if given in greater amounts, could cause miscarriage.
In your case, it seems that it caused some uterine contractions resulting in some bleeding, but as long as the contractions and bleeding have stopped, most likely there is no harm. The baby's movement tells us that your baby is alive and well. A baby can tolerate a lot of contractions. As long as you don't take any more misoprostol, your baby should be fine. Best regards.
Thank you for your payment and rating.