Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Elderly mother, is 89 years old, and has type 2 diabetes

Customer Question

My Elderly mother, is 89 years old, and has type 2 diabetes , and also suffers from COPD. She also has Macular Degeneration. Her skin is paper thin,, and can split open quite severely if knocked. Her legs have always been extremely sensitive to touch, and she finds it painful even when having a shower for the water to hit her legs. She had a fall 2 weeks ago. Although she was not severely hurt, she did fall down on her side and leg. She suffered swelling on her leg, ( knee down to ankle) and the doctor gave her co codimol , as it was painful and told her to keep mobile, and if she was resting to keep her feet raised. The swelling did not get any better, and I called doctor back out last week. She said she did not think anything was fractured, and I said I was a little concerned, thinking it may be a DVT . She said she was 95% sure it was not a DVT, and she thought she may have just damaged some tissue in her leg. This is 2 weeks later, and I am getting very concerned, as her leg it very swollen, as is her ankle and foot. Even if I get doctor out again tomorrow, and she sends her into hospital for an ultra sound scan, my mother cannot stand anything touching her legs, and I cannot imagine for one minute that she could stand getting jelly on her leg, then something going up and down to scan her leg. Advice needed Please. Helen McDonald
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Helen and sorry to hear about your mother. She could be mildly sedated for the Doppler venous scan but a ct scan or an MRI and a blood test for something called D-dimer level could be done instead. I agree with you that a DVT has to be ruled out here since if she has one it could lead to a life-threatening pulmonary embolus if not treated. I think she should be taken to the ER right away for the testing.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did mention to the GP, that this is what I was a little concerned about, but she did say she did not think it was a DVT. I also said, "Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you had to have a scan to determine whether you had a DVT. ( I know this, as my husband had one 2 years ago after a fall) but she said she was 95% sure it was not one. I am not a doctor, and I do not want to be seen as going against her advice, but I am getting worried, and my mother is getting extremely "down"

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I fully understand Helen and I disagree with the GP--this definitely sounds like a DVT and, even if there were only a 5% chance as she said, we're talking a 5% chance of her having a potentially deadly problem. If she were my mother I wouldn't be willing to take the chance. In this case at least talk to her again but you would certainly be well within your rights to take her to the ER even if the GP doesn't agree with the testing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is fine. I shall certainly do that when I go to visit my mother tomorrow . Thank you very much for your advice. it is greatly appreciated, as I did not know what to do, but was just not confident in the GP's diagnosis. thanks again, and I shall leave feedback for you, kind regards ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Helen, and I appreciate the excellent rating if that's what you intend to give my service. But please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I shall. Thanks once again, Helen.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DR CHIP. I CALLED DOCTOR TODAY, ( ANOTHER DOCTOR IN THE PRACTICE) AND HE CAME OUT. SENT MY MOTHER TO HOSPITAL TO GET CHECKED, SHE WAS GIVEN A BLOOD TEST, AND IT WAS FOUND SHE HAS A DVT. SHE IS BEING KEPT IN HOSPITAL TODAY, AND HAS HAD INJECTION IN STOMACH, BUT BEING KEPT IN UNTIL AT LEAST TOMORROW, UNTIL THEY DO A ULTRA SOUND SCAN, TO DETERMINE WHERE THE CLOT ACTUALLY IS IN HER BODY. THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE LEFT EXCELLENT FEEDBACK FOR YOU, BUT I KEEP GETTING EMAILS ASKING ME TO RATE YOU, BUT I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS? REGARDS HELEN.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those are automated emails and not from me Helen so sorry about that and just ignore them. So glad to here she got diagnosed and is being treated. She should be fine now and like I said before, even if it were just a 5% chance of a DVT that would be enough of a reason to check
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much. I was very concerned about that myself. I agree, that 95% is not 100%, and if there is a 5% doubt, then it should be checked out. I just needed confirmation, and a little more advice. Thanks so much once again, kind regards Helen. p.s. can you tell me how I go about getting these ratings emails stoppped? lol

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll talk to customer service Helen and call on me again if you ever need me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I most certainly will, thanks again, Helen.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
All the best and you're welcome